The air is full of a sweet and lemon smell as we bake some lemon bars for our guests today. I just love the flavor in these treats. Try making a batch for yourself today.
Nonstick vegetable spray for coating pan
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
Zest and juice of 4 lemons (should make 1/2 cup juice)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners’ sugar for coating
- To make the crust, lightly coat a 9 by 9 inch baking pan with nonstick vegetable spray.
- In a mixing bowl or food processor, mix together the flour, sugar, and butter until it just forms into a dough. Lightly pat it over the bottom of the pan, making sure that it clings 1/4 inch up the sides. With a fork, prick little holes in the dough. Refrigerate for 1 hour, until firm.
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Bake the crust for 15 minutes, until lightly tanned and set.
- In the meantime, make the Filling: In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and flour. Beat in the eggs, then the lemon zest, juice, and vanilla.
- Pour the filling over the crust and bake for 15 minutes, until set. Set the pan on a rack to cool. Lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into 2-inch pieces.