A picture says a thousand words and this one says I was not fast enough to get a picture of this tart before the guests devoured it, so all you get is a picture of my friend Robbie’s pie dish.
Our friends Chuck and Robbie were coming to dinner and wanted to bring something. I asked them not to as we had plenty made for dinner that evening. When they arrived they handed me a plastic container with a liquid in it and a covered pie plate with instructions taped to the top. Robbie explained that it was not for dinner that evening, but was breakfast for us and our guests the next morning. She let me know that I needed to refrigerate it and just follow the instructions in the morning. I have to say it was genius. It was the perfect gift to keep the host from having to prepare breakfast the next morning. In the morning I remixed the egg mixture, poured it over the contents of the pie plate, and stuck it in the oven. It was delicious and all of our guests loved it and raved about how smart it was of them to do it. This recipe is a great make ahead breakfast, that you can bake in the morning. Give it a try.
Savory Onion and Ham Tart
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped ham (approx)
8 oz grated Swiss cheese
1 Tablespoon flour
1 1/2 cups half and half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake bread cubes for 15 minutes and toss to dry until cubes are lightly browned.
- Spray deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. Spread bread cubes on bottom of dish.
- Saute diced onion in butter stirring occasionally until light golden brown (5-10 minutes)
- Dice ham coarsely and sprinkle over bread cubes in the dish. Spoon onion over ham and top with grated cheese.
- Put eggs in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer beat eggs thoroughly. Add flour, half and half, and salt and pepper. Beat on low speed until thoroughly mixed but NOT frothy. Cover and chill.
- In the morning, mix the eggs and pour egg mixture overtart. Place on foil covered baking sheetand bake 50-60 minutes until top is golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Serve